The restoration of the Kemna    (2009)


       
 

January 2009

The track pads are mounted on the rear wheels

 

 
       
 

Please keep in mind that this is a labourers job !. First drill 160 holes in the 2 wheels, cut away the original 320 bolts on the track pads, weld 160 new bolts on the pads, fit the track pads, but then remove them one by one to cut the ends to the right angle 

 

 
       
  Meanwhile work continues on the engine. The slide bars where set exact parallel to the piston rods  
       
  This is a new bearing for the piston rod guide  
       
  19 february 2009

The last of the four bearings on the milling machine. It took 5 hours for each bearing to get the exact match

 
       
  Each run is 37 x 2 mm.  
       
  Wednesday the 11th March 2009

Visitors from the Open Air Museum at Arnhem
Bert Damminga made a nice series of images of this visit, please click  here to see them

 

 
       
  April 2009

The big ends of the crankshaft have been machined and we now put the crankshaft back in place with the help of our little, indispensable, hydraulic crane.

 
       
  The big end bearings where treated by a specialised firm, where new white metal was applied to the old bearings   
       
 
       
  These are the big end lubricators. One was incomplete, the other missing. One of the volunteers made an exact copy and the missing parts. There is a little metal ball that will lift a small distance with each revolution and some oil will then pass into the bearing.  
       
  Saturday, the 27th of June

On that day we did invite friends, relatives and people that do help us occasionally to come and see what progress we had made.
We moved the Kemna outside on her own power, although not on steam but on compressed air.
Technically the restoration is almost finished now, but to get her to a real working traction engine does take some more time.
The lagging has to be put on and next we can start to work on the water supply. If that is done steam can be raised. We feel that it will be Spring 2010 !

 
       
  Explaining it all !. Every now and then we did run the engine on air. The poor lubrication of the pistons prevents to do this for long periods at a time.   
       
  The engine and all the motion work run very quietly. It takes 1/6 revolution of the flywheel to get the engine moving in different direction.   
       
  Over 70 people showed up making this a most pleasant afternoon !  
       
 
  How happy can you get ? Please click on play on the right of this image to see
the Kemna moving back into the workshop.
(all images by Paul/Ilonka Brust)
   
       
  September 2009

We went to different steams event with our portable.  7 consecutive weekends from July to September, so not so much progress was made on the restoration of the Kemna in that period.
We decided to make the sheeting out of one piece of metal sheet instead of the 3 original.
It took a long time to get it fit the way we wanted it, but finally we got there.

 
       
  This is a temporarily fit around the wooden lagging, but after painting we will mount the sheeting permanently with its original straps.
The manhole and fitting for the water supply will get a collar, but not around the steam block. 
 
       
  For the front wheels we bought two rubber strips, 5" wide and 1" thick. 16 bolts will hold the strip in place, but we will also glue the rubber on the metal. Here extra holes are drilled for the retaining bolts.  
       
  November 2009

The rubber strips are mounted on the front wheels.We hope that the bolts and glue will hold the strip on its place. Shortly we will take the Kemna out behind the Nuffiled for a trip, to find out if this is the case

 

 
       
  Here you see the two gears that will drive the eccentric for the feed water pump. The ratio is 2:1. We have changed the original construction somewhat. The shaft that holds the bigger gear and the eccentric is running to the opposite horn plate and has an extra bearing there. Originally there was only 1 flange on the left horn plate, which gave a lot of stress on bearing and flange. So, on quite a number of Kemna's the eccentric was moved to the crankshaft and the pump directly driven from there with a slightly bended eccentric rod. We believe this to be a much better solution.  
       
  This is the extra water tank that will fit on the rear between the coal bunkers. It holds 250 litres of water and together with the belly tank we will carry 450 litres. (110 gallon). That should be sufficient to drive at least 16 miles before taking water again.  
       
  December 2009

The extra water tank has been mounted. The water injector will find a place near this water tank.

 
       
  The original makers plate in on the engine again.  
       
  Meanwhile a lot of work is put into making the covers for gears and shafts. People on the foot plate should never get their fingers or clothes in touch with the moving parts. All these covers where missing and have to be made new.  
       
  This what the Kemna looks like now, virtually complete. The last official inspection as part of the renewal program will be carried out soon. As soon as the water supply pump and injector as well as the lubrication pump are mounted, the restoration is complete and steam can be raised. We will invite the inspector once more by April/May in 2010 to see the engine in steam, so all safety devices can be inspected. We will keep you informed !  
       
Back to 2008 
Continue with 2010

Back