De restoration of the de Kemna    (2008)


January 2008

As we are getting near the installation of the steam cylinder, the piston rods etc. we mounted an electromotor with a small rubber wheel to set the flywheel in motion. .

The electromotor and reduction gear are mounted on the left rear wheel, so it is easy to set the right tension on the small rubber wheel. There is a speed control to be seen as the aluminium box  in the left corner on the image. We can vary the speed from dead slow to maximum by means of the speed control.

       
 

       
  March 2008

We took her out for a ride !. Just to see if everything was running smoothly. Our Nuffield 10/60 pulled the Kemna along

 
     
  A look from behind. This engine was converted to colonial style for use in the agricultural business  
       
We need the wheels to be on rubber !. Not only do we damage the road, but the noise and the shaking is unbearable.
We have just ordered 80 rubber pads in China

 

       
   
     
  April 2008

The cylinder block is mounted again.

 
     
  With the one cylinder cover still left out it is clear that this engine with both pistons under full boiler pressure will produce some torque !

All cylinders where re-bored and new piston rings mounted. The circle of holes round the the Bosch piston valves is the outlet for the used steam    

 
       
  June 2008

We have ordered 100 track pads in China to be mounted on the rear tires, 40 for each wheel and 20 spares . A lot of work, as we have to drill 160 holes and as the pads will be mounted under an angle, we need to cut both ends to the correct angle as well

 
       
  This looks good. The handles for the link motion as well as the steam inlet are mounted again.  
       
  A box full of little shafts, triangles and bushes. When mounted, the link motion will be complete again The link motion is very special on this engine a it uses only one eccentric per steam valve  .  
       
  The spring loaded safety valves are back in their position. It took a lot of grinding to get them tight again  
       
  31st of July 2008

On a beautiful summer evening we took the engine outside and lit a fire.
With compressed air we had some small leakage. Now that  we have admitted steam, these leaks are gone, except for one on a very awkward position, but that has been taken care of now

 

 
       
  As we have no water feeding possibilities yet, we felt that 7 Bar (about 100 PSi) would be sufficient

 

 
       
  September 2008

The work on various parts continues. Gert vd Hart cutting a piece of cast iron. He has take up the challenge to repair one of the damaged cylinder covers

 
       
  Willem Gijtenbeek is our painter. He is dealing with the chimney. The base layer(s) are of heat resisting paint kindly supplied by Sikkens Coatings  
       
  Lex Singels is cutting the holes in the lever that controls the air inlet. This needs to be adjusted in different positions to increase or decrease the intensity of the fire.  
       
  The 100 rubber pads. 40 for each rear wheel and 20 for spare. There is a lot of work involved in preparing the pads for proper mounting.
The original 4 studs have been cut and next we need to weld 2 new studs on.
Then the right angle must be cut to both sides 
 
       
  160 holes have to be drilled in all. That part of the job is now almost finished  
       
  November 2008

Eventually we got the steam valves linked again to the eccentrics.
It took us almost 10 weeks to get it all lined up correctly and running smoothly.
Now that everything fits, it can be mounted in just half an hour !
That is exactly the reason that the restoration of such an old engine takes so much time. No wonder that the fitters where the most important men in the shop of a traction engine builder.
Below you can play a little film that shows you the link motion in action.
This is a very rare link motion system not found on any other make of engines as far as I know. If anyone could give me the correct English name for this ingenious system, I would be very happy mailto:Janvdveen@wxs.nl

 
       
   
       
       
       
       
       
   
Back to 2007
  Continue with 2009    
Back to the index