The restoration of the Kemna    (2003)


Img_0787.jpg (19225 bytes)

The right piston with the slide-bar still attached Somehow we did not manage to loose the piston rod in situ. It took a hydraulic press to get it free.
Img_0788.jpg (22651 bytes) 8th of January 2003

The cylinder block. It is in a very good condition. We have a feeling that this engine was mainly used for haulage, as the motion work has quite some wear 

Img_0785.jpg (25603 bytes) Al there is left after you remove everything

 

22nd of January 2003

 

The cylinder block is removed as well. It is connected to the boiler with 22 cone-shaped bolts. All the bolts have been marked, so we can put them back in exactly the same position. 

The cylinder block seen from the boiler side. The bottom piston valve cylinder can clearly be seen, while further down the 2 cylinders are visible. The steam supply comes from the right.
The front tube plate.

Meanwhile we have started to remove the fire tubes. The tube plate is 16mm thick and in good condition.

March 2003

Our main concern is the status of the boiler. We are making preparations for the first inspection

 

Firework !

This image was made looking though the man-hole, while working on some rivets in the smoke box.

All tubes have been removed. You look inside the smoke box and also visible in the background is the fire box. The four holes on the side of the smoke box are there to hold the super heaters.
This image was taken through the man-hole towards the fire box.
The crown stays can clearly be seen.
There are two support rods to hold the back of the outer fire box. These rods are riveted to the barrel  just past the position of the man-hole.

 

8th of April 2003

Although there where only 8 retaining bolts, it took 10 hours and the help of a torch to remove the under carriage. The carriage itself is spring loaded and in good shape.

30th of April 2003

As we all had a day off (Queens birthday !)  we took the time to turn de boiler upside down. Good thinking and no hurry was the order of the day.

She is there !. It was not to difficult to roll the boiler over some wooden planks under the barrel just in front of the outer fire box.
The ash pan is mounted with 4 special shaped bolts in the bottom of the fire box and 2 of these where broken. Both have been removed, not without trouble, and new threads have been cut. 
As the rally season is now fully on, we have not much time left for the restoration. After the 1st of September we will be in full action again.

This image was made on the 1st of June at Almere, just as we had loaded the Ransomes on the low-loader

Summer 2003

We did not do much on the restoration this summer as we visited several steam fairs with our portable during summertime.
We did have some success though in getting grants to finance the restoration project. There is still a gap in our budget but it is closing !
We also took the decision to replace the inner fire box for a new riveted one. We will do most of the work ourselves, but the new fire box will be made in England. We will give full details in the autumn 2003 page.

Having a good time at the GDS !!
Our problem with the inner-fire box

During its lifetime a lot of mud and sediments must have gathered underneath the fire door. This caused the plate of the fire box to get overheated. You can clearly see that between the stays the plated is slightly bended. This gave us only one conclusion, the fire box needs to be renewed. A hell of a job, but we see it as a challenge ! Much of the work we will carry out ourselves, but the new fire box will be made in England. It will be a riveted box, just like the original.

Certainly in The Netherlands this is a job not done very often and we will give full details on the next pages.  

The rivets in the foundation ring, 54  in total.
The first one on the right is a true rivet, the second a screwed rivet. that ends half way in the foundation ring. This is done because there is simply no room at the inside of the firebox for this rivet.. 
A look inside the fire box. The pattern from 6 x 6 rivets in the middle are the stays. In the right upper corner, the fire door  can be seen. The opening is supported with 22 rivets. 
Removing the heads of the stays on the outside. We use a small magnetic drill and a 16mm mill. It removes a sufficient part of the head so it can be removed easily with a hammer and chisel.
That is how the rivet heads look after removal. It is a fast way of doing and there is hardly any change of damaging the plate compared to using an angel grinder.
The first row of rivets have been removed from the foundation ring. We first drill a 10mm hole all the way through and then continue with a 16.5 mm drill. This is stopped about 10mm before the end. After heating the rivet and fast cooling, it can be knocked out with a driver. The point is that all the force will be set at the far end of the rivet. In stead of pushing it out it is pulled out. 
All the stays have been cut. You can clearly see the holes in the inner fire box that where cut out with the torch in order to reach the stays 
It has to be done this way, as the stays are screwed, so knocking them out is impossible, they have to be cut by means of the torch. Later on we will remove what is left in the outer fire box, to make place for new stays. 

 

Working with the heavy magnetic drill horizontally. It weighs about 25 kg and for moving it in position, we need the hydraulic arm. During drilling the rope is slacked, but kept in position, just in case ...

 

Continue with 2004
Back to 2002
Back to index